- ePayMe Yamaha’s Hopkins and Easton gearing up for Silverstone season opener
- Ellison: “I can’t wait to get going at Silverstone”
- MCE British Superbike stars to meet fans in Milton Keynes ahead of Silverstone season opener
- 20th anniversary MCE British Superbike Championship season set to kick off at Silverstone
- Bell Helmets FATSBAR Future Award announced for Hel British Motostar Moto3 Standard Championship
Michael Laverty looked set to end the MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship official test at Silverstone on top, but in a dramatic final minute of the session Leon Haslam edged marginally ahead with the fastest time of the day by 0.122s.
The final session of the day was a battle for honours at the top of the times and Christian Iddon, Haslam, Danny Buchan, John Hopkins and Dan Linfoot all had a spell at the top but Laverty held the leading position into the final five minutes.
Haslam was on the attack in the closing seconds though and the 'Pocket Rocket' stole the leading position on his final lap, as he now looks ahead to his MCE BSB race return next weekend April 8/9/10.
Haslam said: "Today has gone really well; for me to come to Silverstone one week before the first race was a big test of where we are at, and how what we have tested in Spain works now we are back in the colder conditions. So far we have evaluated two more things that we needed to do and we have had a good race run. It seems to all be going to plan, we want to keep pushing and improving but I am leaving here really happy with how the JG Speedfit Kawasaki team have worked together here."
Filip Backlund pushed for a flying lap on the Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki, forcing his way up the order to third place just ahead of Iddon, who was pushed back to fourth place on the second of the Tyco BMWs.
Danny Buchan had sat out the first session, but the Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati fought back with a vengeance to move fifth on the combined times and Dan Linfoot who was the fastest of the Honda Racing trio.
Shane 'Shakey' Byrne was seventh fastest on the Be Wiser Ducati ahead of ePayMe Yamaha's John Hopkins with Richard Cooper and Jason O'Halloran completing the top ten, covered by just 0.844s.
MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship, Silverstone, official test combined result:
- Leon Haslam (JG Speedfit Kawasaki) 2m:06.182s
- Michael Laverty (Tyco BMW) +0.122s
- Filip Backlund (Quattro Plant Cool Kawasaki) +0.223s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +0.233s
- Danny Buchan (Lloyds British Moto Rapido Ducati) +0.392s
- Dan Linfoot (Honda Racing) +0.481s
- Shane Byrne (Be Wiser Ducati) +0.642s
- John Hopkins (ePayMe Yamaha) +0.762s
- Richard Cooper (Buildbase BMW) +0.790s
- Jason O'Halloran (Honda Racing) +0.844s
Last updated: Tuesday, March 29, 2016